How to convert CALS Raster files to TIFF?
The CALS raster format is a standard developed by the Computer Aided Acquisition and Logistics Support (CALS) office of the United States Department of Defense. CALS files were used for document imaging and therefore only store black-and-white, 1-bit image data. CALS Type I files only store a single image per file and the data is always compressed using the CCITT Group 4 encoding algorithm. CALS Type II files may stored multiple images per file, the image data may be tiled, and tiles stored as raw data or as data compressed using CCITT Group 4 encoding.
Programs which can read CALS raster files are few in numbers. To convert CALS raster files to TIFF:
- Download and install Image Converter Command Line program
- Press 'Start" button, then select 'Run...' and press it
- Enter the following command line:
- Press 'OK' button
- A DOS mode window will open and the conversion process will start
- Converted files will be stored in 'C:\out' folder
If you do conversions often you may found it more convenient to make a conversion script as a BATCH-file.